Account
About People Forums Blogs Photos Videos Groups Events Chat News
  •  

What's up with the rainwear market ?
Quote13.08.2018 16:480 people like thisLike

Helley has discontinued a lot of their stuff. AJ group seems to have quit making anything at all....except for a few styles of waders. There was another Seller on German ebay selling some good rainwear - was outta stock for ages - now is back with a 50% price increase. Ocean, Grundens et al. have always been absurdly expensive. One forum member here who had good stuff quit selling it for reasons i did not fully understand but apparently related to Aj group being incredibly unpleasant to do biz with.....

This basically leaves farmersinrain as the only seller offering something actually interesting.

Anybody got an idea what's going on ?

Quote13.08.2018 17:421 people like thisLike

I don’t think anything’s going on. There’s tons of great industrial rainwear out there in all kinds of styles and colors from Ocean Rainwear, Viking Rubber, Elka, HH, Guy Cotten, Grundens, 66 North just to name the premium brands. And I don’t think it’s overpriced either, although Guy Cotten seems to be the most expensive brand. I don’t have any gear from Viking Rubber myself, but think it looks great at it’s available at very fair prices e.g. on ebay (new condition).
Quote14.08.2018 17:520 people like thisLike

• Supply and demand rules the market
  • The market is always right
Quote16.08.2018 06:050 people like thisLike

I guess one trend is that the popularity of non-breathable rain wear is going down - except for "designer" vintage-jackets like Stutterheim.

Heavy duty stuff is used only by professionals and the pricing is reflecting that. When the volumes go down, prices go up.

Its's a pity but irreversible trend I'm afraid. So take good care of your collections. :)

-J-

Quote16.08.2018 09:330 people like thisLike

Is there something missing on the market?

Please specify your request: Product type, material strength, colour.

Concerning Grundens most products are still available.

They discontinued some products and introduced some new ones.

Prices increase according to inflation rate. Normal business.

The majority of the population prefers breathable hiking jackets.

So the market is for professionals and some lovers and collectors.

The professional product range is rather cheap in comparison to some vintage designer stuff.

The idea with vintage Grundens Originals failed. Too expensive. No demand.  Website is down.

Now they have the Sandön series which is somewhere in between.

New products are produced phtalate free as this is considered toxic.

So new products are not shiny any more.

They experiment with PU instead of PVC.

Concerning Le Chameau boots it's the same. They streamlined their portfolio.

Less products but faster availability. When they produced in France you had to wait for 3 months until the boots were produced.

Now they deliver in one week.

Product availability of hip and chest waders is good for different brands.

Special requests are difficult due to production process.

The factories produce thousands of items. They cannot do a production run because a minority of collectors asks for something special.

It is possible to get a special edition from Grundens when you order 100 pieces.

Copyright © 2024 Regnfrakker.dk