Account
About People Forums Blogs Photos Videos Groups Events Chat News
  •  

Quote29.12.2018 19:100 people like thisLike

Hi, I'm planning some activities involving a lot of oil and rainwear soon and I wanted to check if anyone had any advice in various materials and which oil / lubes to use or not. My current understanding is to avoid using petroleum based oils as they cause staining and degrade PVC garments, therfore IIwill be looking to just use olive oil or vegetable oil.

So does anyone know the effects of these oils on the following:

• Nylon waterproofs
  • Pvc
  • Latex
  • Gore Tex
  • Neoprene
  • Polyurethane

Thanks!

Quote01.01.2019 16:000 people like thisLike

what kind of oil? food oil or?

Quote01.01.2019 20:330 people like thisLike

Maybe olive oil or vegetable oil.

Quote01.01.2019 21:160 people like thisLike

i have tryed that and it is great and all but it will ruin your rainwear. i have learned that the hard way sadly.

well i have only tryed with PU and PVC but that i know is a bad idea

Quote22.02.2019 14:160 people like thisLike

don't use any oil based stuff with latex as it ruins that. have had latex sheath shorts and used baby oil to lube up and they didn't last long atall

Quote26.03.2019 13:310 people like thisLike

I youse olive oil to nylon rainwear - sometimes also leather jeans - so shinny and horny - feels and look great. After the action in the washmachine

Quote16.05.2019 21:020 people like thisLike

Silicone oil is a very popular choice for latex, and - as far as I know, it doesn't have a negative effect on PU, PVC and PE either. I think, neoprene is a family member of PU, so it might be fine as well. I have no idea, wether it would affect gore-tex. Careful with impregnated textiles, any oil might undermine the chemicals used to make the fabrics waterproof. Silicon oil is definitely used a lot to lubricate latex garments and is considered material care for latex too.

Vegetable oils might be fine, but make sure to remove all traces later on, because these oils tend to get very slimey and gluey after a while. Nut oils usually get hard after a few weeks, not so nice either.

Quote16.05.2019 21:430 people like thisLike

Be aware that there are two type of silicone. The one you can use on latex is WATERBASED and made for latex. The oilbased will definitive harme both latex and PVC. I have learned it the "hard" and "rotten" way.

Quote17.05.2019 15:520 people like thisLike

Thanks for making me aware, I wasn't!

Quote17.05.2019 16:060 people like thisLike

For PU, I am not sure if you can put anything on. My experince with PU is bad-bad-bad. It last for 2-10 years, PVC is very much better. Most PU don't stand normal soap and washing machine.

Both PU and PVC are polymer based.

For latex I recommend washing in body soap after use, air dry it, powder with talcum, and store in air tight plastic bags. Oxygen (air) degenerates latex.

Neoprene is a oilresistant rubber, often used in diving suits.

Copyright © 2024 Regnfrakker.dk